Jun 3, 2010

Logon restriction on service accounts

Lately I ran into the same problem several times, so I decide to blog this to save someone else a couple, if not more, frustrating hours.

The problem is, during sharepoint or sql server installation we need to enter several service account and their passwords, and even though I use those passwords many times without any problem, I keep getting an error saying "invalid password or username", or sql service (or any other window service) can't start with the password  I enter. Someone must change the password without letting anyone else know?!

Not really, generally for those service accounts, network or server guys like to impose a log on restriction:


make sure your new server is in the list! and check the spell (no typo. windows don't check that for you).